Promotion of Trout Fish
Introduction: Azad Jammu & Kashmir (AJK) possesses abundant inland water resources which have the potential to considerably produce fish meat and to diversify state’s food security and reduce the incidence of poverty, particularly among rural communities. It is important to point out here that since many years no major assistance targeting the fisheries sector has been provided to fully exploit fisheries sector and to get optimum yield, to contribute to the state’s economy and house hold food security and alleviation of rural poverty. Additionally, it would be In line with major developmental priorities of the state. Further aim is to raise production and productivity of water bodies, fish farms while conserving fisheries and other fresh water resources. CSP has initiated to explore the fisheries sector development for income generation of the vulnerable communities across AJ&K. Objectives: The project has contributed towards achieving the following objectives.
- Established of 7 Modern Trout Fish farms in District Neelum AJK.
- Strengthened the vulnerable communities across Neelum by Provision of Fisheries Extension Services.
- Contributed towards poverty decline by increasing income of local people through better practices of fish farming.
- Conserved the cold water fisheries trout’s by fish farming and built the capacity of local fish farmers in Neelum.
- Promoted the Commercial Fish Production by establishing 11 fish sale points in district Neelum.
- Strengthening the initial capacity of Fisheries among local population of Neelum.
- Capacity building of the local fish farmers.
- Supporting the local communities in switching over simple fish farms into integrated fish farms
- Provision of technical assistance essential, seed, feed etc.
- Improvement the local population in their economic condition by trout farming, marketing their fish.
- Exposure visit of fish farmers Muzaffargarh, Punjab-Pakistan
- Develop linkages with financial institutions for loan to fish farmers if required.
- Capacity building of fishery and wild life departments, sister organizations and fish farmers.